Friday, October 17, 2008

Hi Everyone, One interesting concept has caught my eye regarding what some writing centers are doing these days. I ran across an example of a WC handbook http://www.psu.edu/dept/cew/writingcenter/handbook.htm Please feel free to peruse, I thought just the concept of a handbook for a tutor was interesting. I note that we do not do everything the exact way this particular center does, nor should we. I was just looking more at the concept of laying out a handbook. Just an idea:)

3 comments:

Renée said...

I like the idea of creating a handbook. Although each consultant (for the most part) has previously had the RHT320 class, I think the handbook would be useful in teaching the rules of the writing center, but also in helping the consultants to remember what they learned in the tutoring class by including basic information on tutoring and also links to websites and books to help all of us remember exactly what we're here for. Additionally, it would be useful for those consultants who did not take the RHT320 course, to see what is taught and to better understand their fellow consultants.

I hope that made sense, I'm still not fully awake. :)

Anonymous said...

I've also been wondering about putting together an FAQ sheet or a "Top Ten Tips" sheet for new consultants--or, actually, for anyone to use. It's sometimes helpful to see what other consultants are doing.

Your thoughts??

~Pam

Nacho Treadwheels said...

I put together the handbook for UMF's writing center. Are you suggesting we write our own material, or simply make a compilation? If the latter, I know where to get some good stuff.