Friday, September 26, 2008

Two Different Pages, One Assignment.... Cultural Awareness, Communication, and Coping Strategies for Tutors of ESL Students

Hello All, If you are not already aware, Ashley, Rebecca, and I are presenting at the MWCA Bright Ideas Conference at Madonna University next Saturday. Going from the title, I can briefly explain that we are going to explore the challenges that culture and communication can present while working with ESL students. In response to those challenges, we will provide a variety of coping skills for tutors. The presentation will include a lecture, hands-on assignment, and a discussion session. As things are starting to mesh together for our presentation, I felt it would be a wonderful opportunity to find a common theme that the tutors at the OU Writing Center use based on your own training and tutoring style. If anyone has any interesting stories that include a specific challenge, a new way to approach this challenge, and the response from both the writer and yourself, I think we may be able to incorporate that experience into our dialogue. In any case, I love stories, so even if you have one that is not ESL specific, I would still read it! Regards, Genevieve

1 comment:

Nacho Treadwheels said...

Ugh, I'm so nervous about this. I'm working on my part.