Friday, September 5, 2008

Consultant Welcome

Dear Consultants: The OUWCWriteSpace blog is a complement to our other professional development (PD) outlets. It offers us an additional way to meet without the contraints of real time and to share our consulting successes, questions, and mishaps while they are fresh in our minds. As such, you can add blogging to the downtime activities' menu. Each week by Friday, I would like at least one of us to post a short anecdote and a question, a short article and a query, or some other item of interest. I'd rather these posts emerge organically from our experience in the OUWC or from our reading, but if a volunteer schedule does not yield results, I might turn to assigning each of you a week. IF our consulting schedule becomes too laborious to accomodate blogging on site at the OUWC (during your regularly scheduled shift), I will gladly compensate you for more extensive posts, such as locating an article on a timely topic, linking to it, digesting it for us, and querying our experience/opinions. Instead of adding the hours to your time sheet, please email me with PD-Blog in the subject line, and I will add the hours as a separate entry. If other PD options emerge, please bring them to my attention. For example, I need consultants to help me facilitate a consulting simulation and practice session for 9th graders in Writing Academy that will sponsor with Pre-College Programs on Saturday mornings in October. I also have an opportunity to bring some of you into a 5th grade language arts classroom to model consulting and workshopping. These are some of the events for which I will provide additional compenstion. If it is agreeable to you, I plan to invite RHT 320 students to share our blog later in the semester. For now, I have limited this invitation to the course faculty, Barbara Hamilton and Marshall Kitchens. Well, this is all I can offer for now. It's literally time for me to get the bagels, or we won't have a palate-pleasing meeting at 8 AM. Sherry

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi Everyone,
In response to our challenge to encourage each other to write about our tutoring experiences, I was thinking tonight about what I'm sure will probably be an abundance of freshemen producing college academic work for the first time. I am keeping in mind this week that, when I was a freshmen and still to this day, it helps me to hear my paper out loud. From there it also helps to challenge the student to evaluate their thought pattern as expressed in their writing. Are they
- Summarizing?
- Preseting their thesis?
-Analyzing?
-Synthesizing?
.. or whatever the assigmnemt may requre of them.
Here is a link that discusses what freshmen may have to keep in mind as they transition to academic work in a university setting.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~writing/materials/student/ac_paper/what.shtml
-See you all 'round the center
-Rebecca

Sherry said...

Rebecca, what sage advice. Too often, I am tempted to plow right in. I need to ask questions and to encourage the student to ask questions about her process, her product, and its relationship to the assignment. I especially appreciate the link to a resource about students in transition.