Thursday, February 19, 2009

Welcome to Writing

Hello to all! I started working at the Writing Center yesterday morning, bright and early. I'm not much of a morning person, but I was in a good mood all day. I'd forgotten how much I like to help people with writing. It's such a big part of me, I suppose I take it for granted that I know how to write a good essay, I'm familiar with formatting, syntax, and basic grammar. I was even reminded that I know how to chart sentences when I watched someone helping a student with his grammar homework. I also created a google account, abandoning my desire to keep my accounts and blogs to a minimum...but there's something different about being a part of a bigger blog. Hearing a student say, "Thank you so much, you really helped me. I feel much better about my essay," is beautiful. I may not want to be an English teacher, but I'm excited about being able to connect with people over something so important to my life - and their grades. I wanted to also extend a thank you to all the wonderful tutors I've met since I began working here - you've already made me feel welcome. I'm looking forward to meeting more of you. With warm weather in mind, Irene =)

No comments: