Saturday, February 5, 2011

Nursing students just learning APA (non-trad)

Hi everyone, I just had a quick idea about somethign for us to blog about. I am sure we all have been in this situation by now, and I am just curious about how other people handle it. No right or wrong ways per se, I am just curious about what course of action people take and maybe the sharing of ideas can lead to insight. The situation: You've been here before and you can almost predict it.... You notice that you have a new student and you have a blank slate as far as what you will be doing with them today. You meet them, and then after some small talk, you find the reason for why they are here. Perhaps you note that, they are a non-traditional and they have filled out nursing as their program on their logsheet. They grimace slightly as they mention that they have to use APA and they have a super-strict professor when it comes to proper citations. "Oh boy..." you think to yourself. They then say the words that you could have bet money they would say. Like a child confessing that they have just eaten a forbidden cookie from the jar, they nervously chuckle to disguise their true feelings of vulnerability, You hear the sound of their nervous ruffling of papers in their binder, and you observe that they probably have kids of their own your age.... "I haven't been to school in 20 years and we never documented anything, or did research or papers like this, now I have to learn this APA thing and its pushing me over my edge. Can you help me?.... These words can be a little unnerving when you first hear them. You think to yourself, wow, they are a professional with a career, going back to school, they have so much more life experince than me, and they feeling vulnerable doing something that I deal with all the time- APA. Akward huh?

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Nicely articulated, Rebecca.