Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One-on_one in 2011

As we enter the second month of the new year and await the blizzard snow, let's promise to engage in more online professional development via our blog. I have reinvitated everyone to join so that we might share the novel, the treasured, and the tedious consultation. To get started, I'd like us to think about how we engage (or fail to engage) our clients in a dialogue about their writing. In other words, what informs the process we employ? Is it reserach? If so, based upon what data? Is it anecdote? If so, shared by whom? Is it personal preference? Let's consider what we do each time we sit down with another human being and his/her writing, how we do it, why we do it, and how we know that it yields writing development. To ensure that we all hone our consulting acumen, I've asked Genevieve to meet with each of you about your process. In addition to talking with you about your interactions with clients, she will co-tutor and observe. Her role is not to evaluate you for rehire or to record your less successful moments. Her goal is to listen, affirm, redirect, and advise as needed. Starting this week, Genevieve will begin contacting you to set up initial meetings. You need not wait for her, though. She and I will be happy to discuss your role one-on-one as needed. While I am often busy with andministrative paperwork and meetings, please don't misinterpret my time in the "glass castle" as anything but required service. If you need me, I can quickly move back into studio circulation because without clients and dedicated staff, my paperwork is moot.

No comments: